How to make money from How to make money as a freelance developer – business tips from an expert
0:00 – Should you become a freelance developer?
8:22 – How to stand out from other freelance developers
14:53 – How to sell your services
25:50 – Where to sell your services
Summary of points:
Should you be a freelancer?
– Are you self-motivated or do you need structure provided for you?
– People who can regulate themselves, and require themselves to work set hours from home, are best suited for freelancing.
– People who require someone to provide them with a work schedule and deadlines is better suited to work for someone.
– Can you make money as a freelancer?
– Roughly 30 percent of the 24 million small businesses in the US do not have a website. This equates to 7.2 million businesses.
– If each of these businesses paid $3,000 for a website then that would be a total market of $21,600,000 (7.2m * $3,000).
How you can stand out from other freelancers.
– It’s important to recognize that most developers don’t do a good job of connecting with potential customers.
– There are a plenty of web developers in the US. Despite this, 7.2 million small businesses don’t have a website.
– The fact that there is a high number of developers and a high number of businesses still in need of service indicates a “disconnect” between the development community and the small business community.
– The best way to bridge the “disconnect” is to identify and solve the problems of small businesses.
– Developers must talk to small businesses about their problems and how software will solve those problems.
– Many developers make the mistake of talking about software and code and not about problem solving.
– Taking a “problem solver” approach will help bridge the disconnect between developers and small businesses.
How to sell your services.
– The initial meeting/phone call is your opportunity to connect with the customer.
– Use your initial meeting with a potential customer to identify the customer’s needs and problems.
– Identifying the potential customer’s problems requires in-depth questions and follow up.
– Close the sale by explaining how software will solve the problems you have identified.
– Give specifics as to functions the software will perform and how those functions will solve the problems you have identified. This is more effective than the approach of many other developers
– Your written proposal must be specific as to the services you are providing. This avoids disputes.
Where to sell your services
– Networking events can help generate business.
– DO NOT go to networking events which are mostly made up of developers. It’s better if you’re the only developer in the room.
– BNI (https://www.bni.com/) is a good place to network with small business owners.
– Third party services can help you find customers
– Thumbtack.com and Fiverr.com are good places to find customers.
– Third party services/platforms often include fees for listing your services and you will often perform work for reduced rates.
– Your own website can bring in business.
– This doesn’t require the time of networking and alleviates the problems of third-party services/platforms
– Google Adwords is a way to promote your website. Adwords, however can be expensive.
Follow Luke on Twitter: https://twitter.com/luke_ciciliano
Check out Luke’s website, SEO For Lawyers: https://www.seo-for-lawyers.com/
Learn to code for free and get a developer job: https://www.freecodecamp.com
Read hundreds of articles on programming: https://medium.freecodecamp.com
And subscribe for new videos on technology every day: https://youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=freecodecamp
How to make money from freelancher software developer,freelance developer,freelancer,how to make money,working as a freelancer,learn to code